October 24th, 2019 – Holidaymakers looking to experience the very best sights, sounds and flavours of the Caribbean can choose an incredible two-week fly-cruise with Fred. Olsen in January 2020, joining Braemar in the Dominican Republic and setting sail on an epic journey, taking in diverse countries, stunning cities and breathtaking western Caribbean islands and the Americas
929-guest Braemar’s 14-night M2001 ‘Western Caribbean & Central America’ fly-cruise will depart from La Romana, Dominican Republic on 2nd January 2020, and will feature new destinations and experiences for Fred. Olsen across the Caribbean.
Martin Lister, Head of Itinerary Planning & Destination Experience, said:
“Too many people think of the Caribbean as being just the one destination, but there is so much more to this diverse, colourful part of the world. Here, you can find some truly remarkable clusters of idyllic islands, each with their own culture, traditions and rich history.
“Moreover, by adding La Romana in the Dominican Republic as an additional turnaround port, we can really optimise our time in the Caribbean and offer even more of the rich and vibrant itineraries, for which Fred. Olsen is renowned.
“We are especially proud of our ‘Western Caribbean & Central America’ cruise, which offers something for everyone: whether you are a culture-seeker, nature-lover, adventurer or gourmet. As well as our range of ‘must do’ shore excursions – carefully researched and selected by our Destination Experience experts, who have visited many of the ports of call before – we are also offering our ‘small group tours’, which provide a more intimate and immersive insight, with no more than 25 guests on each departure. This is so much more than just the usual Caribbean beach holiday!”
Details of Braemar’s tempting M2001 itinerary are as follows:
– 14-night M2001 ‘Western Caribbean & Central America’ fly-cruise (flights from London Gatwick / Manchester), departing from La Romana, Dominican Republic on 2nd January 2020. Prices start from £1,707 per person.
Ports of call: La Romana, Dominican Republic (overnight stay) – Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic – Cozumel, Mexico – Belize City, Belize – Puerto Limon, Costa Rica – Colon, Panama – Cartagena de Indias, Colombia – Willemstad, Curaçao, Netherlands Antilles – Bridgetown, Barbados
Highlights of the shore tours on offer include:
– Look no further than Cozumel, Mexico, from where there is the chance to explore the world famous Mayan ruins of ‘Chichen Itza’, one of the most important and exciting archaeological sites on the American continent, and home to one of the great Mayan Empires.
– Explore one of the most striking Mayan archaeological sites in Belize – once a thriving metropolis. After being hand-cranked across the Mopan River on a 19th Century ferry, guests can visit ‘Xunantunich’, meaning ‘Stone Woman’ in Mayan, with its 25 temples and palaces, in an area of less than a square mile. This is followed by a typical Belizean lunch and a traditional ‘Marimba’ show.
– Despite its relatively small size, the waterways of Belize are home to a variety of fascinating fauna and flora, which can be found in and around the water marshes and lush tropical foliage. During a gentle boat ride or an airboat ride, go in search of native mammals, birds, amphibians and reptiles, freshwater and marine fish.
– From Puerto Limon, Costa Rica, take in the Tortuguero Canal, known as Costa Rica’s ‘Amazon’ – a unique system of natural and manmade canals used for transportation and exploration. A jungle boat will guide guests through the canals, which are surrounded by lush rainforest, which, with the help of heavy annual rainfall, fills the area with rich flora and fauna. Keep your eyes peeled for birds, monkeys, lizards, sloths, toucans and more.
Discover the richness of the rainforest with a ‘sky walk’ along the suspended bridges that weave their way through the giant trees, filled with vibrant wildlife, including monkeys, sloths, birds and butterflies. Alternatively, sit back and relax, whilst gliding gracefully through the canopy on an aerial gondola.
– Experience the mystical and unique natural underground river in Cozumel, Mexico. Go underground and discover the astonishing geological world that lies beneath. Learn about its history, sacred rites and admire the natural formations, whilst walking and swimming through the crystal-clear waters.
– In Belize, head into the heart of the rainforest for an inner tube ride through the mystic Mayan Caves, which have been formed over many centuries. Feel the thrill on the descent below the surface of the earth to Xibalba. Float along the Cave Branch River and admire the mysterious limestone archways and ancient caves.
– Become a coffee connoisseur in Cartagena De Indias, Colombia. South America is renowned for its coffee production and, on this tour, be educated, help brew and sample one of Colombia’s most awarded single-estate coffees.
– In Puerto Limon, Costa Rica, enjoy a visit to the ‘Hacienda Tayutic’, nestled in the mountains of Turrialba, and discover the methods of cultivating and processing sugarcane and coffee. Learn how the extract of the cane is cooked, poured into moulds and converted into deliciously sweet treats, as well as discovering the region’s important coffee cultivation.
For further information: See ‘Western Caribbean & Central America’ – M2001
The price shown is based on two adults sharing a twin-bedded Interior Room, and include accommodation, all meals and entertainment on board, port / airport taxes, plus flights and transfers.
During its 2020/21 cruise season, Fred. Olsen will be offering 10 enticing Caribbean fly-cruise itineraries, as well as two ex-UK sailings, from the convenient southern UK port of Southampton, and the regional northern port of Liverpool.
Braemar and 804-guest Black Watch will both serve Fred. Olsen’s Caribbean programme in 2020/21, offering a range of enticing sunshine holidays between 14 and 32 nights’ duration, which have been designed specifically to show guests the ‘real’ Caribbean and the lesser-explored, uncrowded islands.
For further information on Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines, visit the website at visit the website at https://www.fredolsencruises.com/travel-agent-centre/ or call the Trade Support Team on 01473 746164.