Initial set of protocols from ship to shore help safeguard the well-being of guests and crew
MIAMI, July 22, 2020 – Today, Crystal unveiled Crystal Clean+®, its initial set of safety and health protocols to be implemented on Ocean ships Crystal Serenity and Crystal Symphony once they return to sailing. This set of Crystal Clean+ protocols is considered the 2.0 version – the initial expansion of Crystal’s already stringent health and safety policies – developed with the latest data from health experts to meet the unique challenges posed by COVID-19, and will be continually evaluated as new information becomes available. Crystal is committed to full compliance with the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) and global health measures and, as such, will update these protocols according to their recommendations when they are available.
The new Crystal Clean+ measures include reduced capacity; new embarkation procedures; enhanced cleaning protocols; social distancing and facial covering guidelines; health monitoring for guests and crew; new testing equipment and onboard medical resources; isolation staterooms in case of illness with separate air filtration system; shoreside partner collaborations and much more.
“When travelers choose to sail with us, they are entrusting Crystal to keep their well-being as our top priority and we take this trust and responsibility very seriously,” said Crystal’s president and CEO, Tom Wolber. “The Crystal Clean+ program is an enhancement of the rigorous systems to which our teams have always adhered and offer our guests peace of mind and the assurance that Crystal is committed to ensure a healthy and safe experience aboard our ships.”
Covered in the Crystal Clean+ 2.0 version are designated protocols pertaining to all aspects of the guest experience. These include but are not limited to:
Pre-Boarding & Embarkation
Additional precautionary steps taken in the weeks, days and hours prior to boarding will help streamline and safeguard the embarkation process for all guests and crew.
- Guests will check in online and complete a health questionnaire
- Guests will receive an assigned arrival time to minimize congestion
- Guests will undergo temperature checks before entering the terminal
- Guests will complete a second health questionnaire at the terminal
- A second temperature check will be done at the ship gangway via contact-free fever screening systems
- Guests who show signs of illness will be seen by the medical staff and may be denied boarding
- Luggage will be disinfected before it is brought aboard
- Additional measures and precautions may be required depending on ports of embarkation/disembarkation
Capacity Control & Social Distancing
Crystal ships are designed to offer nearly double the space per guest of similar-sized ships. New protocols will expand this social spaciousness even further.
- Reduced capacity when ships resume service
- Reduced capacity in restaurants, entertainment, fitness center, pool deck, casino, retail spaces, bars and lounges
- Social distancing of at least six feet of those outside of one’s travel party will be required
- Reduced capacity in elevators
Enhanced cleaning protocols will ensure guest suites meet the highest standards of disinfection. In highly frequented shared spaces, Crystal Clean+ procedures will include augmented cleaning and other measures.
- Frequent disinfection with medical-grade products listed on the EPA List N, and approved for use against COVID-19, norovirus and other infectious diseases
- Frequent disinfection of all guest accommodations utilizing medical-grade disinfectants
- Onboard social spaces disinfected with increased frequency including all public bathrooms, corridors, stairwells and elevators, restaurants, bars, lounges, entertainment and enrichment venues, retail spaces, fitness center and spa
- Touchpoints such as handrails, elevator buttons, table-tops, door handles, etc., disinfected with increased frequency during peak hours
- All dedicated children’s and teens’ facilities disinfected frequently
- All recreational equipment disinfected with increased frequency
- Public areas will be deep cleaned and meticulously disinfected with medical-grade disinfectants during overnight hours
- Electrostatic foggers will be used as an additional tool for disinfection
- Additional hand sanitizing stations using alcohol-based sanitizer will be placed strategically throughout the ship
Responsive Mask Policy
Crystal will require masks when its ships resume service. This policy will be nimble and will be reassessed as appropriate.
- Crystal will provide masks to its guests and crew
- Masks will be required in venues and instances where proper distancing is not possible, including restaurants before being seated, show lounges, casino, fitness center, elevators, ship tenders, shoreside terminals and tour dispatch areas
- Crystal will comply with all destination health authorities, which may require masks ashore
Food & Beverage
The Crystal dining experience will be carefully presented to eliminate person-to-person contact while maintaining the delicious and elegant experiences guests enjoy.
- Open Seating Dining will continue with social distancing considerations
- Guest seating will ensure ample spacing
- Disposable cutlery will be provided, upon request
- In-room dining choices will be available 24/7
- Contact-free dining service will be implemented in all onboard venues
- Self-service options will be eliminated in the Marketplace, Bistro and other venues
- All restaurants, bars and galleys will be disinfected with increased frequency
- Increased hand washing and use of hand sanitizing stations will be required
- Stringent procurement guidelines will be enforced
Air Filtration & Ventilation
Crystal ships are designed with a 100% fresh air supply to all staterooms and main public spaces. There is no air recirculation built into the design.
- All air filters and cooling coils are frequently thoroughly checked and maintained to ensure the highest standard of air quality possible
- Guest accommodations and corridors set aside for isolation in the event of illness feature ventilation systems with separate ducting and air supply
Shoreside Partners & Excursions
Crystal is working closely with all shoreside partners to ensure that Crystal Clean+ protocols extend to guests’ experience ashore.
- Tour coaches and tenders will be disinfected to meet Crystal Clean+ standards
- Excursion group sizes will be reduced to help allow for proper social distancing
- Crystal will monitor port regulations and adjust requirements and schedules as needed to maintain guests’ health and wellbeing
- Crystal strongly recommends that guests who choose to book tours independently consider that these operators may fall short of the disinfection standards that Crystal requires of their partners
- Crystal will partner with local destinations and tour operators to ensure our industry-leading health and sanitation protocols extend to the shoreside experience
- Crystal will only visit safe, open ports of call; this may cause changes to the itinerary
- Crystal will keep guests up to date with the latest confirmed itinerary changes
- Additional health screenings may be required by local health officials before disembarkation in certain ports
Crew member Standards & Practices
Crystal Clean+ will ensure that crew members remain healthy and at their best to deliver the very best experiences for our guests.
- Crew to be tested for COVID-19 prior to boarding
- Crew will undergo frequent temperature checks and regular health monitoring
- Crew will wear face shields, masks and other necessary PPE when interacting with guests
- Crew transfer between ships will be minimized
- Crew are prohibited from personal contact with guests such as handshaking and hugging
- Crew are trained on health and safety measures
Medical Center & Services
Crystal’s onboard Medical Centers and professionals are at guests’ service 24/7.
- The medical team comprises a doctor and three nurses aboard each ship, available around the clock
- Crystal’s Medical Centers are well equipped with ventilators, virus testing equipment, X-Ray machines, extensive first aid tools and common prescription and over-the-counter medications
- Medical Centers will be equipped to perform Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) Point of Care testing
- Isolated wards are available in the Medical Center
Public Health Officer
This dedicated officer supports Crystal Clean+ protocols and onboard medical teams.
- The Public Health Officer is trained in the CDC’s Vessel Sanitation Program
- Oversees outbreak mitigation and cleaning protocols
- Closely coordinates with medical teams
- Ensures that daily cleaning protocols are in accordance with CDC guidelines
Crystal Clean+ protocols are in development for Crystal’s River, Yacht and Expedition vessels; these details will be made available soon. For complete details of the Crystal Clean+ protocols, click here.
All Crystal ships across the fleet including Ocean, River, Yacht and Expedition offer nearly double the space per person than ships of a similar size, which is among the highest space ratios in the industry and their social spaciousness will be further augmented through the Crystal Clean+ program’s evolving public health and safety measures. Further, Crystal Endeavor and Crystal’s River ships are all-suite and all-balcony with most staterooms on its two Ocean ships featuring private verandas for fresh airflow.
The safety of guests and crew members is Crystal’s number one priority and the fleet will resume service only when the company’s expert team and global health and government authorities indicate that it is safe to do so.
Only the world-renowned Crystal Experience offers an unwavering, unparalleled standard of excellence and luxury across four distinct cruising options: Crystal Cruises, the World’s Most Awarded Luxury Cruise Line; Crystal River Cruises, the World’s Most Luxurious River Cruise Line; Crystal Yacht Cruises, offering boutique luxury and bold adventure in the world’s most elite harbors; and Crystal Expedition Cruises, taking Crystal’s acclaimed elegance to the farthest reaches of the world. Crystal has been recognized with top honors in the Condé Nast Traveler Readers’ Choice Awards for a record 26 years including, in 2019, for Best Medium-Ship Cruise Line for Crystal Cruises, Best Small-Ship Cruise Line for Crystal Yacht Cruises and Best River Cruise Line for Crystal River Cruises. Crystal was also voted “World’s Best” by the readers of Travel + Leisure for 24 years, including, in 2017 and 2020, Best River Cruise Line for Crystal River Cruises; and won “Cruise Line of the Year” and “Most Luxurious Guest Experience” by Virtuoso for 2018 & 2019. Crystal is proud to be a platinum partner of the advisors of ASTA.
For more information and Crystal reservations, contact a travel advisor, call 888.799.2437, or visit www.crystalcruises.com. Join the hundreds of thousands who subscribe to the Crystal Insider blog, follow Crystal Cruises’ Facebook page; @crystalcruises on Twitter and Instagram; @crystalrivercruises on Instagram; and engage in the conversation with #crystalcruises, #crystalrivercruises and #WhereLuxuryisPersonal.