B&R extends Uniworld partnership with multi-country Western Europe tour beginning May 2018
TORONTO, May 24, 2017 – Expanding its luxury river cruise portfolio, Butterfield & Robinson, the world’s premier active travel company, announces Rhine River Cruise Biking 2018. Departing from Basel, Switzerland with port stops through France and Germany, the eight day trip explores terraced wine regions, medieval castles and UNESCO heritage sites along 1,000 kilometres of historical river bends and bike trails. Rhine River Cruise Biking is the latest in a partnership between B&R and Uniworld Boutique River Cruise Collection, the world’s most luxurious all-inclusive river cruise line.
“In addition to unique, unforgettable active travel itineraries, B&R is committed to providing travellers with cultural experiences underscored with luxurious settings,” says Norman Howe, president & CEO, Butterfield & Robinson. “As such, we’re very pleased to encourage our travellers to ‘unpack once’ as they make their home aboard Uniworld’s luxury fleet of beautifully-designed ships for a week of active travel.”
The newly announced biking tour also complements B&R and Uniworld itineraries along the Danube and Rhône rivers, launched earlier in 2016 and offering unprecedented onboard comfort, fine dining, personalization and first-class service.
“We partnered with Butterfield & Robinson to fulfill our shared desire to provide guests with unforgettable and unique travel experiences,” said Ellen Bettridge, president & CEO, Uniworld. “In 2018, we continue to expand this partnership across more of Uniworld’s most popular Rhine itineraries, pairing the best of river cruising with curated and active exploration by bike.”
The voyage by port and pedal includes a stay aboard the S.S. Antoinette, Uniworld’s first “Super Ship” with 67 uniquely designed staterooms and nine suites. Daily biking excursions will lead travellers through the Black Forest and Wiese Valley in Germany, along the river to Obernai and Strasbourg and to the colourful foothills of the Vosges Mountains in France. The last stops through Heidelberg, Koblenz and Cologne reinforce the reach of the Rhine, a former trade route dating back a millennium.
“Not only can our travellers immerse themselves in touring the cities and valleys along the Rhine, but we’ve designed an unbeatable week of biking routes,” said Chris Mark, director, Central & Eastern Europe, B&R. “Cyclists can choose their level of activity and still enjoy the well-deserved renaissance of this ancient trade route, its attractive landscapes and friendly residents.”
Rhine River Cruise Biking Highlights
• Explore Germany’s Black Forest and Wiese Valley, as well as France’s Alsatian wine country by bike within the first two days. Both days offer hillier routes, while the latter has rewarding views of the Vosges foothills.
• Ride a gorgeous uphill loop to the panoramic Chapelle des Larmes on Mount St-Odile in Obernai, enjoy a glass of locally-brewed Kronenbourg in the Alsacian capital of Strasbourg, and marvel at the famous, soaring Notre-Dame cathedral.
• Glide through the lush valley of Neckar River en route to Heidelberg, itself a UNESCO heritage site for its Old Town, medieval castle and eye-catching baroque architecture.
• Following a quick visit to Johannisberg Castle and its winery in gorgeous Middle Rhine, cyclists have the choice of embarking on a 106 km Century Ride along a flat riverside lane all the way from Rüdesheim to Boppard.
• Recreational: Much of the riding on this trip will be on the flat Rhine biking path, however hillier routes may present challenges, especially on Day 2 and Day 6.
• Daily cycling options are available for travellers, including more casual downhill and riverside routes to rewarding climbs through western Germany, as well as an option for a Century Ride on Day 6.
• Guests will spend seven nights aboard Uniworld’s elegant S.S. Antoinette in a stateroom of their choosing, serviced by the ship’s crew of 57. Built in 2011, the S.S. Antoinette’s rooms are all uniquely decorated and all B&R cabins have French balconies to accommodate endless town and riverside views.
• The restaurant aboard the S.S. Antoinette uses fresh, regionally-sourced ingredients and offers a breathtaking panoramic backdrop. The ship’s luxurious décor features fine Brazilian marble, 19th-century Venetian glass and a collection of original artwork.
• The 8 day / 7 night Rhine River Cruise Biking tour runs in May, June and September 2018, from US$6,995, with single supplements starting at US$1,700.
• For more information or to download the itinerary, visit http://www.butterfield.com/trip/rhine-river-cruise-biking/
About Uniworld Boutique River Cruise Uniworld Boutique River Cruise—the world’s most luxurious all-inclusive river cruise line—features luxurious ships with an average capacity of 130 guests, exclusive excursions, gourmet cuisine, and one of the highest staff-to-guest ratio in the river cruise industry. Based in Los Angeles, California, Uniworld offers truly all-inclusive itineraries in Europe, as well as voyages in Russia, China, Vietnam and Cambodia, India, and Egypt—a total of 22 rivers in 26 countries worldwide. In 2018, Uniworld will launch U by Uniworld, a new brand designed exclusively for 21 to 45 year old adventure seekers, featuring two renovated ships that will sail to cities such as Amsterdam, Budapest and Paris. Uniworld is a member of CLIA and is highly regarded by discerning travelers, media, and cruise industry experts, having most recently been named the #1 River Cruise Line in the Travel + Leisure World’s Best Awards 2016 readers’ survey.
About Butterfield & Robinson As the world’s premier active travel company, Butterfield & Robinson has been designing incredible journeys in the world’s most amazing placesfor over 50 years. From the start, B&Rhas encouragedtravellers to “Slow down to see the world,” executing itinerariesfocused on activity, adventure and cultural immersion for generationsofguests.Withoffices in Canada,France and Italy, B&R offersover90 innovative itineraries in 60 destinations worldwide. Formore information visit www.butterfield.com.
Johnny SantillyButterfield & Robinson1-800-678-1147 x [email protected]